Thursday, June 19, 2008

Robert Redford and Fleeting Potential

I just watched Robert Redfords "Lions for Lambs". I love Robert Redford... in a totally heterosexual way. I want to meet him for coffee at sunrise at a cafe on the banks of the Vltava river in Prague. There he would impart wisdom unto me and transform me from a wild immature kid with tons of potential to a measured and mature leader in the crusade of all that is right and just. Of course I don't want to meet the real Robert Redford. Who knows what that guy is like? I want to meet the character he plays in movies like "Spygame" and "Lions for Lambs".

I'll admit that the movie was heavily layered with political and ideological agendas, but I don't think these were the main points of the movie. Well maybe they were, but I still chose to ignore them and focus on the subplot carried by Robert Redford and Andrew Garfield. Redford plays an older Poli-Sci professor, who after just one look you can tell possesses heavy doses of wisdom, insight, and discernment. Garfield plays the college kid who is squandering loads of potential partly because of the cynicism he has developed against the system, partly from laziness, and partly because Redford hasn't sent him straight yet. Redford calls Garfield into his office early one morning, the wisdom flows, the potential is prodded, and a brilliant series of scenes ensues. If I knew anything about technology I would magically cut out all scenes void of Redford and just watch the abridged version of the movie over and over. Of course it's probably best to see the movie as a whole first. At least once. Maybe.

I think the movie struck such a chord with me because I'm about to turn 27 years old. Yes I know I'm still very young. But when you reach 27 no one refers to your potential anymore. It seems that by the time you reach 27 potential is either realized or lost. If you're going to do something special, most of the time, you've already got a good head start by this age. I used to have people tell me about my potential all the time. Teachers, college advisers, employers, people at my church. Now? Nuthin... Crickets.

However, I must admit, deep down inside, in places I don't talk about very often, I still harbour a glimmer of hope that those people were right. I still dream that it's not too late. Something in me still yearns for more. Maybe not more but certainly better. I'm not dissatisfied with my life or circumstances by any means. I have an incredible wife, an amazing son, some great friends, I'm not rich in American terms but I live pretty comfortably, and I have the opportunity to make choices about my future. But still, I want to do GREAT things and be someone GREAT. Do you know what I mean? Is it just me? I think this is ok to say out loud. Do not mistake that statement for desiring adulation, because that is not greatness. These days people are adored for taking steroids and hitting a ball really hard with a stick. No, I don't seek the adulation of crowds, but to do and be something great. I don't think there is anything wrong with that. After all, if we do not dream of greatness, if we strive for the mundane, or set our hearts on mediocrity, what kind of life is that? I yearn to right wrongs. I desire to fix that which is broken. I pray that God would use me to further His kingdom. I long to be a better father and husband. I wish to be the friend that is called on when someone is in need. I don't think this is bad. I wonder if there is any of that old potential left in there to live up to these desires.

1 comment:

jim thompson said...

But when you reach 27 no one refers to your potential anymore. It seems that by the time you reach 27 potential is either realized or lost...

that's funny.

Charlie boyd told me something that hit me real nice about a year ago. he said, "in your 20s, figure out what you don't want to do."